La traduction de la Convention collective 2013-2016 est en cours. Les nouveaux articles sont disponibles uniquement dans la langue dans laquelle ils ont été écrits et adoptés. Pour toutes questions, vous pouvez nous contacter en visitant la page Contactez-nous.
The translation of the 2013-2016 Collective Agreement is underway. The new articles are only available in the language in which they were written and adopted. For all questions, please contact us using the Contact Us page.
- Who is a member of the Association?
- How can I become a member of the Association?
- How do I keep my membership with the Association?
- What happens if I lose my membership with the Association?
- Are there exceptions to the membership rules of APTPUO?
Who is a member of the Association?
Sections 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 of the Collective Agreement say the following:
2.1.1 L'unité de négociation comprend toutes les professeures et tous les professeurs à temps partiel enseignant dans la Ville d'Ottawa et les comités de Stormont-Dundas, Renfrew North, Prescott et Lanark.
2.1.2 Le personnel scolaire à temps partiel comprend toutes les personnes, seules ou avec d'autres, qui ont la pleine responsabilité d'un ou de plus d'un cours et qui sont :
a. des professeurs ou des professeures à la leçon;
i. soit pour des charges d'enseignement individuelles;
ii. soit pour des charges d'enseignement multiples cumulées dans un même contrat;
iii. soit pour des charges d'enseignement cumulées avec d'autres fonctions chez l'Employeur dans un même contrat de travail;
b. des professeurs ou des professeures de langue à temps partiel;
c. des professeurs ou des professeures d'instruments de musique;
d. des professeurs ou des professeures d'enseignement clinique en sciences infirmières ou dans d'autres unités de la Faculté des sciences de la santé;
e. des professeurs ou des professeures d'enseignement clinique en physiothérapie;
f. des personnes dans des postes comparables à ceux énumérés ci-dessus;
g. des étudiantes ou étudiants inscrits à temps complet dans un programme d'études supérieures à l'Université d'Ottawa;
h. des post-doctorant.e.s inscrits à la Faculté des études supérieures et postdoctorales auxquels sont assignées des charges d'enseignement.
How can I become a member of the Association?
As soon as you teach one course designated as a part-time academic position and you start paying dues AND your status is not affected by the exceptions stated above, you become a member of the APTPUO.
You cannot become a member or keep your membership status by paying a nominal fee. Only Part-Time Professors paying dues deducted from their paychecks as part of their teaching duties are members of the Association.
How do I keep my membership with the Association?
To keep your membership status, you have to teach at least once every 24 months.
Section 5.8.5 of the Collective Agreement says the following:
An individual who is not in the bargaining unit for a period of twenty-four (24) months or longer shall lose all seniority points previously accumulated. There shall be four exceptions:
a) an individual holding the position of President, Vice-President and Secretary, Treasurer or Grievance Officer of the APTPUO during such a period;
b) members on leave as specified in articles 7.3, 7.5, 7.6 and 7.7 of this agreement;
c) members who have formally applied for work in each of the successive winter and fall terms after the twenty-four (24) month period referred to in 5.8.5 above;
d) members who, for reasons beyond their control and for a limited time, have taken up residence where regular back-and-forth trips are not possible, on the condition that they present a valid supporting document and a favorable recommendation from the Labour-Management Committee.
What happens if I lose my membership with the Association?
You lose all your seniority and benefits.
If you teach again at the University of Ottawa, you start at zero.
Are there exceptions to the membership rules of APTPUO?
Yes, there are exceptions, described below.
Section 3.7.2 of the Collective Agreement says that :
"Any employee excluded under section 2.1 who performs part-time teaching for additional remuneration shall make payments in accordance with section 3.8."
Section 2.1.3 states that:
The parties agree that the following are excluded from the Bargaining Unit.
- employees who exercise managerial functions or are employed in a confidential capacity in matters relating to labour relations between the Employer and the APTPUO;
- all persons who otherwise hold the academic rank of lecturer, assistant, associate or full professor or full-time language teacher at the University of Ottawa, including visiting professors and those who have been seconded to the University;
- all those engaged in the practice of medicine or psychology in the course of clinical teaching of medicine or psychology;
- all part-time academic staff engaged in the teaching of courses in the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section and Civil Law Section;
- all those involved in the teaching of non-credit courses, except
- courses in the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute and QBA/PDP at the Faculty of Education which are required for the completion of a degree program;
- on an exceptional basis and for historical reasons, all those employees having a contract for non-credit courses between the period of May 1, 2009 and April 30, 2011, in the QBA/PDP and OLBI will be deemed to be included in the bargaining unit for the purposes of the collective agreement.
- in order to maintain his/her status as a bargaining unit member, the member will have to apply and receive a contract once per twenty-four (24) months or as per Article 5.8.5.
- All courses offered to part-time professors by OLBI and QBA/PDP shall be posted as per Article 5.5.
- persons employed by the Employer whose regular job description includes teaching duties related to his or her other duties.
The parties further agree that the following positions are excluded because the incumbents exercise managerial functions or are employed in a confidential capacity in matters relating to labour relations with part-time academic staff:
- the President
- the Vice-Presidents
- the Associate Vice-Presidents
- the Vice-President, Governance
- the Deans
- the Administrative Officers of Academic Units or Faculties
- the Director of the Counselling and Personal Development Service
- the University Librarian
- members of the Board of Governors or Joint Committee
- the Research Officers of Institutional Research
- the Directors of Administrative and Academic Units.
The list shall be reviewed on October 30, February 28 and June 30 of every year, and the list shall be forwarded to the Association.