La traduction de la Convention collective 2013-2016 est en cours. Les nouveaux articles sont disponibles uniquement dans la langue dans laquelle ils ont été écrits et adoptés. Pour toutes questions, vous pouvez nous contacter en visitant la page Contactez-nous.
The translation of the 2013-2016 Collective Agreement is underway. The new articles are only available in the language in which they were written and adopted. For all questions, please contact us using the Contact Us page.
Reference: Section 5.8 (SENIORITY) of the Collective Agreement.
Bargaining unit members shall accumulate seniority as follows:
- one (1) point for each three (3) credit course or equivalent of teaching experience at the University of Ottawa. Where the number of hours of teaching eligible for a point is less, the member will receive a fraction of the seniority point;
- two (2) points for the year during which the member gets at least one course or the equivalent thereof;
- two (2) points for each complete year during which the member has filled any of the seven (7) positions on the Association Executive Committee;
- two (2) points for each member of the negotiating committee, to a limit of five (5) members, in a negotiating year;
- one (1) seniority point per member participating on a University or joint employer-employee committee;
- one (1) seniority point per member participating on a departmental assembly;
- a member awarded a University-administered research grant by a tri-council (NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR) or by another funding organization allocating funds through a peer-review process, which is recognized by the Research Management Services, will get two (2) seniority points at the end of the year following the awarding of the grant and two (2) points for each subsequent year in which the member holds the grant, as well as two (2) points in recognition per year for the duration of the grant;
- it being understood that normally no one member shall receive more than a total of eight (8) seniority points from those allocated under c), d) and e) above in any academic year. Additional points may be awarded upon recommendation of the Labour-Management Committee.
Seniority points are not awarded until the beginning of the term following the period in which the points were earned; however, a member may add such points to his or her total in an application for a position in the term immediately following the end of the period for which the points are earned.
- Notwithstanding 5.8.1 a) and b), no seniority points shall be awarded for any course where the cumulative average for the responses to the three questions referred to in 5.7.2, is 3.2 or below, unless the chair considers that there are mitigating circumstances. Similarily, no seniority points will be awarded for the academic year in which for each course taught by the member the cumulative average for the responses to the three questions referred to in 5.7.2 is 3.2 or below, unless if the chair considers that there are mitigating circumstances. Type A courses, as defined in 9.5.1, shall be considered as mitigating circumstances.
- Notwithstanding section 2.1.3, members who teach non-credit courses at the Faculty of Artis in the Official Languages and Bilingualism Institute (OLBI) and in the Faculty of Education in the Professional Development Program, will no longer earn additional seniority points for non-credit courses under section 5.8.1 a) after May 1, 2011. Subject to paragraph 5.8.5, the seniority points that they have earned before May 1, 2011, will be frozen in time.
- Subject to paragraph 5.8.5, members who teach non-credit courses at the Faculty of Arts in the OLBI and in the Faculty of Education in the Professional Development Program, will continue to accumulate seniority points under section 5.8.1 b).
- It is understood that members who teach in both credit and non-credit courses during the same academic year at the Faculty of Arts in the OLBI and the Faculty of Education in the Professional Development Program, shall earn no more than two (2) points under section 5.8.1 b).
- The Employer shall make available an updated seniority list of members who teach non-credit courses at the Faculty of Arts in the OLBI and in the Faculty of Education Professional Development Program by June 30th of each year.
At the end of each year, the APTPUO shall forward to the Employer written confirmation of the participation of its members in various activities as set out in paragraph 5.8.1 c) and the allocation of seniority points in accordance with paragraphs 5.8.1 d) and 5.8.1 e).
By June 30 each year, the University shall post the APTPUO member list on its website, including their seniority points, faculty and home department. It shall remain availabl e on the website until the new list is available the following year. Members must report errors or omissions to Academic Affairs and Labour Relations between June 30 and August 31 of every year. It is understood by the parties that service notices to the Association (under 5.8.1 c), d), e), f) and g)), if any, and Employment
contracts are used to determine seniority points, as are the terms of the collective agreement governing the accumulation and withdrawal of these points.
A student part-time academic staff member may not accumulate more than fifteen (15) seniority points fo r courses reserved for student part-time academic staff. Notwithstanding the foregoing and 5.8.1, seniority points over and above the fifteen-point limit will be credited to the member for past teaching at the end of the term in which the student part-time academic staff is awarded his or her degree by the Senate of the University of Ottawa or at the end of the term during which the student academic staff member has formally withdrawn from his or her program of studies at the University.